Dr. Tauseef Mehdi MBBS MRCPsych PGCert
Dr Mehdi is a Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist working in the NHS and privately at the Healthcare On Demand Clinic in Guildford, Surrey. Dr Mehdi holds expertise in a range of psychiatric presentations and neurodevelopmental conditions affecting children and young people. He lectures at the St Georges Hospital Medical School and Imperial College London on specialist topics in medicine.
About Dr. Mehdi
After completing his basic medical training in London, he specialised in psychiatry and acquired extensive training in acute mental health, neurodevelopmental disorders and forensic psychiatry relevant to women and children. Dr Mehdi is a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists since 2011.
Dr Mehdi acquired specialist qualification in Family Therapy during his sub-specialist training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He worked in and developed specialist clinics for children and young people with neurodevelopmental disorders, eating difficulties and secured his position on the General Medical Council Specialist Register in November 2014. Dr Mehdi is a diagnostic assessor for Autism Spectrum Disorders in children and is currently leading the implementation of a complex-neurodisability service for children and adolescents in the NHS.
Dr Mehdi has published in peer-reviewed journals on specialist topics. He is passionate about increasing awareness and a better understanding of mental health difficulties in society. In 2014, he established the first ever work experience program for 16-18 year olds in the mental health NHS trust he was working in. He is currently working on a national work experience program so that all young people ages 16-18 have the opportunity to apply for a work experience program in their local mental health services.
Dr Mehdi has a special interest in transcultural aspects of mental health care. An understanding of mental health difficulties varies from regions and cultures, and a good understanding of the problem with respect to the socio-cultural beliefs of the family can be liberating. Dr Mehdi is fluent in Urdu, his second language and is also a basic user of British Sign Language as he has experience of working with Deaf children and young people with mental health difficulties.
- Trained educational and clinical supervisor of core and higher trainee doctors in approved training program in psychiatry. Higher Education Thames Valley
- Approved Clinician and S12 (2) doctor within the meaning of the Mental Health Act 1983
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Trained administrator of Developmental, Dimensional and Diagnostic interview for assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorders (3Di)
- British Sign Language Level 1 award
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule administrator
- Diploma in Family therapy, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College.
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Medical Degree, St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry. University of London.
Dr Mehdi has assessed and treated a range of neurodevelopmental conditions and mental health disorders affecting children and young people including ADHD, Autism related problems, Learning Disability related problems, Anorexia Nervosa, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Depressive Illnesses, Anxiety disorders, Tourette’s syndrome, self-harm and Psychotic/Affective illnesses and more. He is a training lead for ADHD assessment and treatment pathway in his NHS role.
What kind of difficulties Dr Mehdi looks into and supports with –
- ADHD Diagnostic Assessment and management including medications.
- Autism Diagnostic Assessment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Depressive illnesses
- Anxiety disorders
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Emotional difficulties
- Eating Disorders
- Tourette’s syndrome/tics
- Difficulties associated with Autism, learning difficulties or learning disability
- Psychotic disorders
- Bipolar Affective Disorder
Dr Mehdi uses a holistic approach towards any difficulty affecting the family. He will share an understanding of the difficulty from a biological, psychological and social model of care. Dr Mehdi will help the family understand the exact nature of the difficulties and how they can be tackled using environmental, psychological, social and pharmacological strategies if needed.
He engages with children and young people in a patient centred approach. It can be a lonely place when we are troubled with emotional difficulties. Dr Mehdi works with children, young people and parents in a way that acknowledges and validates the difficult experience the family is going through but also bringing to light the families’ own resilience that propels the desire for recovery.
Dr Mehdi informs his clinical practice using cognitive theory, systems theory and psychodynamic theory.
Professional Accreditation and Affiliation
Dr Mehdi is registered and approved by all major healthcare insurers (BUPA, AXA / PPP, Aviva, Cigna, PruHealth, WPA etc).
Referrals can be made directly by patients as well as GPs, schools or other health care professionals. Dr Mehdi will assess each referral to determine complexity of the presenting difficulties.
Appointments & Fees
Assessment appointments by Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists usually last 90 minutes. The assessment involves gathering information to reach a shared understanding of the difficulties and feedback on management options. The child or young person and their parents will be sent an outcome/clinical letter following the appointment.
On requesting an appointment via our online booking system, the practitioner may well call you to confirm details before you meet. This initial telephone discussion of up to 10 minutes is free of charge, and is designed to confirm that it is indeed appropriate to proceed to a full consultation and is not designed to replace a consultation.
- Initial assessment meeting including the outcome/clinical letter.– £430 for 90 minute appointments or £330 if assessment can be completed in 60 minutes. Dr Mehdi reviews the referral information to determine the level of need and the required appointment duration. The rational is shared with the family before the appointment is booked.
- Follow-up consultations – £300 (approx 60 minutes) or £160 (approx 30 minutes)
- Autism Assessment –Please click HERE for full information on this multidisciplinary service
Dr Mehdi will accept self-funding patients. Requests for specialist assessments such as ADHD, specific enquiries relating to school placements or medico-legal work will incur a separate fee schedule. This can be provided upon request.
Self-funding payments should be made on the day of the appointment. Cash, cheques or direct bank transfers (Sort code: 40 07 04 and Account number: 31679724) are accepted. Please contact to discuss payment options if needed.
For patients covered by AXA-PPP, 1st appointments will require self-funding from the family however follow up meetings can be invoiced to AXA-PPP.
If a prescription is issued within an appointment then there is no additional fee.
Requests to reschedule appointments will be accommodated wherever possible.
Dr Mehdi works closely with GPs and would encourage parents to keep their GP involved when accessing input, however, this is not an obligation.