This programme can be run on an in-house basis for groups, schools/colleges and businesses, which can be a very cost effective option. Please contact info@HealthcareOnDemand.org.uk for more information. We may also re-run this event on an open enrolment basis. If you are interested in this or any of our other courses/workshops/seminars, please register your interest HERE. We will then let you know when the next relevant event is open for registrations.
Stress and anxiety affect us all and are completely normal reactions that we will all experience from time to time. For some people however, this can be experienced as more intense, for longer periods of time, be disproportionate to the circumstances and can have a significant impact on day to day functioning. Children and adolescents experiencing high levels of stress, anxiety and related difficulties such as managing obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours often struggle to cope with the demands of everyday life.
It is important that those who are involved with caring for young people experiencing these difficulties are able to recognise and make sense of their difficulties in order that they can respond in a way that is supportive.
This workshop is aimed at providing those involved with the care of young people experiencing high levels of stress, anxiety and difficulties managing obsessive thoughts/compulsive behaviours with key information about these difficulties. We will also provide outline guidance as to how best to support a young person experiencing such challenges.
The target audience includes families, friends and carers of young people experiencing stress, anxiety and obsessive compulsive difficulties. In addition attendees may include those working within, and offering support in a range of settings. These settings may include professional, as well as personal contexts including:
- Education (e.g. teachers, SENCos, college tutors, mentors, special needs assistants)
- Health (GPs, Paediatric workers, Health Visitors, School Nurses)
- Social Care (social workers, family support workers, children’s centre workers)
- Community & Voluntary services
Manifestations of Stress and Anxiety in Young People
- To gain a greater understanding of how stress and anxiety impact on children and young people, and what to look out for
- To feel more confident in being able to support a child or young person in managing stress, including how to facilitate development of self-esteem and emotional resilience
- To provide an update on best clinical psychology practice in the understanding and treatment of anxiety and stress
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Session
- To gain a greater understanding of the signs and symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- To feel more confident in supporting a young person experiencing difficulties managing obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours
- To provide an update on best clinical psychology practice in the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder
The Social World of Adolescents
- To provide an overview of the main psychological and psychotherapeutic theories of social emotional development and how these might help to understand anxiety and stress
- To appreciate the importance of the expanding social network of young people, how to work with this and spot early warning signs of problematic anxiety
- To provide an update on thinking about the issues emerging with social media and technology
- Update on evidence based interventions, tips and useful resources
Anxiety in Younger Children
- To provide an overview of anxiety in the younger child including separation anxiety, somatic symptoms, selective mutism and compulsive behaviours
- To appreciate the role of play in enabling children to express and communicate their anxiety and how this can be used in therapy
- To explore ways of supporting children who may be anxious with examples of useful resources
Get In Touch
Call us with a general enquiry: 01483 33 88 50
Eastgate Gardens Practice
Please give us your feedback
We really want to give you the best clinical service(s) you could possibly have.
What do you value about the clinic, and what could we do to improve?
- Self harm rates triples in our areaMarch 30, 2017 - 7:45 am
- HoD Team strengthened further in early 2017March 4, 2017 - 2:12 pm
- Myth Busters: Healthy Eating and Weight ManagementJanuary 4, 2017 - 11:44 am
- New Year, New Practitioners!January 4, 2017 - 5:44 am
- Supporting the Dorking Mental Health ProjectDecember 23, 2016 - 5:07 pm